Why use mediation?
Mediation can be especially beneficial where children are involved.
Mediation allows arrangements for your children's future to be agreed (both in relation to their care and financial settlement) at the earliest opportunity with minimal animosity between you as parents.
- Decision making rests with you.
- Mediation offers you more flexibility.
- It can be more cost-effective than other ways of resolving disputes.
- Provides you with the ability to fix your own timetable.
- Mediation helps you avoid or minimise ill feeling.
- Mediation is less pressured than court proceedings.
Adults who can reach agreements get less caught up in conflict and are better able to adjust and to co-parent their children in the future.
In addition, since 22nd April 2014 separating couples must attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM) before making most court applications, in order to consider whether mediation would be a better way of resolving their differences.